Bermuda Electric Light Company Limited (‘BELCO’ or the ‘Company’) today announced the recipients of the Company’s annual scholarship awards with a total of approximately $200,000 awarded to 14 young Bermudians. The scholarship recipients are as follows:
Jawonday Smith is the 2021 recipient of the C. Eugene Cox Post Graduate Environmental Studies and Sustainability Scholarship of $25,000.00. The objective of this scholarship is to increase the number of qualified Bermudian Engineers. Jawonday is attending the University of Leeds to study for an MSc in Environmental Engineering & Project Management.
Tiara Derosa is the recipient of the A.T. Oughton Post Graduate Business and Finance Scholarship. The scholarship is valued up to $25,000.00 for one year and was granted to Tiara who study will study for a Masters in Electrical and Computer Engineering at Georgia Tech University.
Jamin Fubler is the recipient of the Llewellyn Vorley Engineering Scholarship, a four-year scholarship award of $25,000 per annum. Jamin will study for a Bachelor of Engineering at Dalhousie University. Upon completion Jamin will return to Bermuda and work with BELCO, which will provide the recipient the opportunity to further their knowledge in engineering fields and to share knowledge and experience with the Company and wider community.
Hashim Webb is the recipient of a new award – the D. Pimentel Internal Scholarship. Hashim will attend Hugh Baird College and embark on a Foundation Degree in Engineering (Advanced Manufacturing) with the intent to pursue a Mechanical Engineering Degree upon completion of his foundation studies.
The BELCO STEM Education Awards are open to students studying for an undergraduate degree in science, technology, engineering and math (“STEM”), which value between $2,500 and $20,000.
The recipients of the 2021 BELCO STEM awards are as follows:
BELCO STEM EDUCATION AWARDS – $5,000.00
- Andrew Dasilva – University of Waterloo – Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering
- Liam Walker – McMaster University – Bachelor of Science in Mechatronics Engineering
BELCO STEM Education Awards – $10,000.00
- Kiara Burcher – Western University – Bachelor of Science in Mathematics
- Ross Cooper – University of British Columbia – Bachelor of Science in Data Science
- Seth Hardtman – Morgan State University – Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering
- Giovanni Hollis – Northeastern University – Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering
- William Welch – University of Waterloo – Bachelor’s in Mechanical Engineering
BELCO STEM Education Awards – $15,000.00
- Cashun Brangman – Seneca College – Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Makayla Tucker – Syracuse University – Bachelor of Engineering
- Jasmin Williams – Western University – Bachelor of Science in Computer Science & HBA in Business
BELCO President Wayne Caines said: “As BELCO moves Bermuda to a sustainable energy future, the Company understands that tertiary education and the skill sets we will need for prospective employees of our company is more important than ever. This year we received many outstanding applications and we are thrilled to empower 14 young Bermudians with a combined $200,000 as they continue their education. I wish all recipients of the 2021 BELCO scholarships every success in their studies and look forward to them returning to Bermuda to help build a sustainable future.”