A New Day is Coming…
Now, here’s a vision for the future that we all can believe in!
Check out our new video on our journey towards a sustainable future: BELCO’s Journey to Sustainability – YouTube
When you think of kite flying, you may think of the tradition of making a paper kite and a fun activity. Safety may not be the most immediate thought, but kite safety is very important during the annual Good Friday holiday.
Some safety precautions you can take when flying your kite are as follows:
- Always use the correct supplies when making a kite. Do not use any wire or metal.
- Keep kites away from power lines and busy roads.
- Only fly kites in safe open places away from any power lines.
- If your yard isn’t big enough or is close to power lines, please don’t attempt to fly a kite as to not cause unnecessary outages.
- If your kite gets caught in power lines, don’t tug on the tail or pull the string. Call BELCO at 955 and then dial “0” to speak with the operator.
Have a safe and happy Good Friday Holiday!
Scholarships: Apply NOW!
Are you planning for a sustainable future? We invest in young Bermudians who can develop our energy future in ways we have not yet dreamed.
Applications are accepted between January 31, 2022, and April 30, 2022.
To apply, visit: belco.bm/scholarships
Understand your rate
On April 1, the average per kilowatt pricing of electricity increased by 5 cents.
It’s important to know as much as you can about how electricity rates are set, so you can budget accordingly and empower yourself to make decisions about your energy usage.
For a full breakdown of how electricity prices are changing, visit: Understanding your rate – BELCO
Understand the Fuel Adjustment Rate (FAR)
In order to meet Bermuda’s energy demands, we must purchase fuel to run our engines. Ultimately, our goal is to transition to renewable energy and away from a reliance on fossil fuels.
Learn more: belco.bm/understanding-the-fuel-adjustment-rate
Understand the labour rate
BELCO employs 234 full time team members of which 94% are Bermudian, while 1% are spouses of Bermudians and 5% are non-Bermudians. Of the 5% who are non-Bermudians, 50% of them are training Bermudians.
We remain committed to hiring and training Bermudians to power Bermuda.
Learn more: belco.bm
Sustainability Training Day
Date: Friday, March 18, 2022
BELCO partnered with BAMZ to teach our team about ‘Unsustainable’ Pollution and the alarmingly harmful effects it’s had on Bermuda’s wildlife.
To watch the video recap of this initiative, visit: BELCO Sustainable Training Day with BAMZ – YouTube
Bermuda Audubon Society
Date: Wednesday, March 23, 2022
Location: Alfred Blackburn Smith Nature Reserve
BELCO partnered with the Bermuda Audubon Society to assist with clearing out overgrown paths at the Alfred Blackburn Smith Nature Reserve.
To watch the video recap of this initiative, visit: BELCO Volunteers: Bermuda Audubon Society – YouTube
Energy Efficiency Tip
Lighting accounts for about 4% of a typical residential utility bill and turning off lights when not in use is the simplest way to reduce energy consumption. However, there are much more efficient bulbs than traditional incandescent bulbs which include CFLs (Compact Fluorescent Lamps) and LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes).
BELCO Energy Efficiency Tips will help you save the environment, save energy, and save money!
To learn more about Energy Efficient Lighting, visit: belco.bm/energy-efficiency-lighting
To help you navigate the path to more sustainable living, we’ve outlined 5 Earth Day tips you can use everyday:
- Make it a point to buy products made from recycled materials.
- Opt-out of any catalogs or subscriptions you don’t read or could read electronically instead.
- Recycled containers (such as yogurt cups, egg cartons, and toilet paper rolls) are great for starting your seeds indoors.
- To save money and fuel when driving, remember the following: drive sensibly (aggressive driving lowers gas mileage by 33%), maintain a steady speed, and remove excess weight (100 pounds in your trunk reduces your mpg by 2%).
- When travelling, never use the hotel laundry services, unless you have a full load that needs to be cleaned as hotels will typically wash each guest’s clothes separately. Washing just a few items wastes a ton of water!
Green living is a lot easier than you might think. It doesn’t require some big, grand gesture, but rather lots of little incremental changes that collectively can reduce our negative impact on the planet.
Connect & Join the Conversation
We would love to connect with you. Our online platforms aim to keep you informed of what we are doing at the plant!
And don’t forget our website is a hub of information on all things BELCO – belco.bm!